[APG Public List] IL Marriage Question [marriage register]

Ida Skarson McCormick idamc at seanet.com
Sat Sep 25 16:08:50 MDT 2010

  On 9/25/2010 6:38 AM, Alvie L Davidson wrote:

> Dear friends
>
> I am about to request a copy of a marriage from Edgar County, IL for
> the year 1850.  Does anyone know if I will get more information on
> this document other than the names of the groom, bride, and the
> officiating party, i.e. minister, justice of the peace, etc?
>
> <snip>
-----------------------

A certificate may just be a modern form with the information typed in.

Some time ago when I requested a mid 19th Century marriage record from
Iowa, I asked for a photocopy of the record from the marriage register.
To my surprise, the county took me quite literally and sent a long
narrow strip of paper. After that I would request specifically also a
copy of the page headings with page number and the spine with volume
number along with any letter from an underage bride's parent or guardian
bound into the register. You will probably get more and more accurate
information from the marriage register than from a newly typed marriage
certificate.

For 20th Century it may also be possible to get a photocopy of the
application for license with signatures, although these applications may
have been destroyed or turned over to a historical society or archives.
The signatures are especially helpful when clerks have had a problem
reading the names.

--Ida Skarson McCormick, idamc at seanet.com, Seattle