[APG Public List] Cause of death question

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Fri Sep 24 20:29:38 MDT 2010

There is a condition known commonly as "night terrors," which is more
widespread than previously thought, and is now considered to be related to a
type of sleep apnea (sleep apnea in turn is linked to higher risk of heart
attack).  Anyone suffering from this particular type of 'waking nightmare'
would likely have been known to suffer from them, and a subsequent death in
the night could easily be attributed to that, even if not directly caused by
the episode.

The episodes are incredibly terrifying though, enough to cause severe
emotional reactions which would be well known by family members.

So obviously not literally death from a nightmare, but in the eyes of people
who were aware of the deceased suffered in this way, maybe it would seem a
possible explanation, rightly or wrongly, if the individual died during the
night.  Literally people act as if they are frightened to death, and report
that they thought they were going to die.

interesting cause of death to have on the family tree though!

Larry