[APG Public List] Publisher for Footnotes - Running Apps Not Native To Your Platform

Meredith Hoffman / GenerationsWeb mhoffman at generationsweb.com
Thu Sep 16 09:29:03 MDT 2010

This is a postscript to my previous posting about Parallels on the Mac
-- I don't recall if I mentioned one other thing about using Parallels
that for me makes it the one I recommend, even to non-geeks -- they
have real honest-to-god knowledgeable and accessible tech support that
you can talk to by phone and chat with either online or by email. It's
an interesting operation -- I think it's just a couple of geeks
somewhere in the former Soviet Union, but they've got US phone numbers
and you can reach them by email and they'll call you back, etc., etc.
-- the only real "issue" is trying to find a time to interact with
them when you're both awake....

The other good news is that I've had to use them only once, in the
couple of years I've been using the program. They "sat" with me and
"looked in on" my system to fix what I'd broken (and it was something
that I'd tried to jury-rig that broke it!) -- they would've just
controlled my system to fix it, which is what they usually do, but I
wanted to understand what they were doing, so I asked them to just
talk me through the fix myself, with them looking over my shoulder
with their remote access system....

And, really, it's as easy to install as any other Mac program, and
once it's installed, you install your version of Windows just as
straight-forwardly and then you install all your Windows software from
the Windows desktop just as if you're working on a native Windows
machine; and the newest version, which has just come out, is
apparently even easier....

Ray's right about the way it used to be and maybe still is with the
other emulators, but the newest versions of Parallels is easy, even
for non=geeks. The only thing that's probably a necessary heads-up it
that it should be running on a reasonably up-to-date Mac OS with a
reasonable amount of RAM.

--Meredith

Meredith Hoffman, M.A. Linguistics
GenerationsWeb / Plymouth, MA