[APG Public List] Parallels on Mac OS X -- was Re: Publisher for Footnotes - Running Apps Not Native To Your Platform

Meredith Hoffman / GenerationsWeb mhoffman at generationsweb.com
Thu Sep 16 09:14:29 MDT 2010

I'm cutting and pasting parts of two emails I recently posted to
another genealogy list that I'm on, in response to Ray's long posting
about running non-native apps on a Mac, because I'm a happy -- and
totally not frustrated! -- user of Parallels on my MacBook Pro. Here's
what I said there, with some of the salient points highlighted in red
and underlined:

"For anyone who's interested, I also run Parallels on my MacBook Pro.
I use it for three things -- my multitude of genealogy applications,
Quicken (because the Mac version really doesn't cut it!), and my
machine embroidery software....

It's easy to install, you can move back and forth with ease between
the two platforms -- even cutting and pasting from one to the other.

I routinely run Legacy in Windows XP Pro on Parallels, working with
files on my Mac desktop. The specs on the speed and performance of the
Windows system is actually a bit better running under Parallels than
it apparently is on an equivalently powered Dell PC; and it's a very
rare occurrence, and means something's out of whack, to have the Mac
performance affected at all.

I'm happy to answer any other questions anyone has."

and

"I've been on a Mac since 1985, and I started out with the first or
second version of Reunion.

But as a publications consultant, my client work for many years meant
that I had to run Word, Photoshop, Quark, etc. on Windows machines,
and so for many years I was bi-platformal -- sometimes even carrying
around two laptops, because I refused to give up my Mac for my
personal use.

I loved Reunion -- for all the other good reasons that people do, and
in addition because it enables Jewish calendar dating and Jewish date
fields and computations -- and at the time, probably the best charts
around....

But I started wanting better sourcing and project tracking, and
Reunion didn't catch up with the various PC programs that were
starting to appear that could do that. I started out on my PC with The
Master Genealogist, and I loved what I could do with it, but as I got
more into doing more and more genealogy, I found it too demanding --
spending more time configuring the system than using it to do
genealogy. I switched to Generations Liberty (which was somehow
connected with the folks who made Reunion), but I eventually turned to
Legacy, for its combination of ease of sourcing and project tracking,
among other things.

Since -- as Julie mentions -- Legacy didn't do charts, and Reunion
did, this was part of my incentive to start investigating running a
Windows emulator -- and I started using MS Virtual PC so I could
routinely move my gedcom's out of Legacy and into Reunion to do
charts.... VIrtual PC was sluggish and prone to crashing, so I was
still managing both a Windows and a Mac laptop, because it was too
frustrating to try running all my clients applications on my Mac. When
Parallels came out, I ported my Virtual PC Windows XP seamlessly to
Parallels (I was actually floored how well they enabled the
transfer!). Once I was running Parallels, I was able to ditch the
second, PC laptop.

So, I mostly use Legacy, now. The charts are fine. I'm still moving
gedcom's into and out of a variety of apps on occasion. I've found
that I can't rely on the gedcoms to reliably convert secondary fields
between programs, but for the primary fields, the conversion isn't a
problem. I'll move into The Master Genealogist when I want to produce
a variety of reports I've customized beyond the kind of customizations
that are possible in Legacy."

Hope this helps.

And as I said, I'm happy to answer questions.... But take it from one
happy user, running Parallels is easy to install, easy to use, does
_not_ impact performance on the Mac side even when I have multiple
Adobe programs running in OS X and both Legacy and The Master
Genealogist running in Windows XPPro, and I can't imagine why anyone
wouldn't want to take advantage of this.

--Meredith

Meredith Hoffman, M.A. Linguistics
GenerationsWeb / Plymouth, MA

JGSGB Publicity Chair