[APG Public List] Word, WordPerfect, Layout, etc.

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 10:51:24 MDT 2010

--- On Tue, 9/14/10, Michael John Neill <mjnrootdig at gmail.com> wrote:

> I decided years ago that I did not want to be a programmer and when
> anything starts to require me to devote too much time to "programming"
> type activities, I chose a different route. There is only so much time
> and I would rather devote what time and energy I have to research,
> writing, and understanding the family, it's records and the context in
> which they were created.

     There are a lot of people who feel this way, and it is a valid point. I would just add one observation, one which probably does not apply in this case, but might help some other genealogist resolve a different dilemma. If you don't want to spend your time dealing with computers, but have trouble doing what you want to accomplish otherwise, you can always pay someone else to set up a system which will give you the results you want, without requiring too much work from you. Obviously, the results would need to justify the expense, but I find that many people never even consider paying anyone else to customise their system for them. In some cases, for a person who knows what they're doing, it would even be a simple job and cost fairly little.
     By this, I do _not_ mean to suggest you ought to haul any machine down to the Geek Squad. Just throwing it out would be a faster, cheaper way of getting the same result. :-) But there are independent contractors out there who do this stuff. (This is not a plug: _I_ don't. I learn what I need for my own purposes, but wouldn't want to spend even more time on other people's machines.)
                              Ray Beere Johnson II