[APG Public List] RESULTS: Origin of a homemaker's habit

Debbie Parker Wayne debbie at debbiewayne.com
Tue Sep 14 09:35:39 MDT 2010

  I promised I would post a summary of responses to my question about
glass storage and whether it was caused by the Dust Bowl. The full
discussion is at
<http://debsdelvings.blogspot.com/2010/09/results-glasses-in-cupboard-rim-up-or.html>.
Here is the summary:

Thirty families are represented in this informal, unscientific survey.
Twenty-six store glasses rim-side down, two rim-side up, two alternate
glasses up and down.

Of those who store glasses rim-side down, eight blamed bugs and
critters. Most of those were located on the east coast (New York,
Maryland), the south (Kentucky, Georgia, Texas, unspecified), Hawaii,
and multiple areas for a family who made frequent moves to different
Army posts. Three responders from New York and central Canada blamed
both critters and dust. Five responders from Oklahoma, Kansas, Illinois,
and New England blamed dust. Four families placed the glasses upside
down to dry completely. Four did not specify. One person pointed out it
is easier to dry dust off the outside of a glass than to clean the
inside if you have big hands. Another pointed out that stability often
determines how we stack and store dishes. (A very interesting analysis I
would bet comes from someone with an engineering frame of mind. Thanks.)

Thanks for sharing your stories. This was a fascinating discussion.

Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne, East Texas

Wayne Research -- http://debbiewayne.com/
Blog -- Deb's Delvings http://debsdelvings.blogspot.com/