[APG Public List] Is this college approved for certification

Jeanette Daniels jeanettedaniels8667 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 23:00:38 MDT 2010

Debbe,

I'm connected with Heritage Genealogical College.  Only a government licensed
accreditation board may accredit any college.  Right now, Brigham Young
University has a regional accreditation (and maybe more that I'm not aware of.)
HGC is working towards national accreditation but is not accredited yet.  It is,
however, licensed and bonded through the Utah Division of Consumer Protection.
Prior to that, it was licensed by the Utah Board of Regents, Division of Higher
Education.

NGS, BCG, FGS, and ICAPGEN are not organizations that would accredit such a
school.  Boston University is an accredited university.  It is currently
offering its certificate but that is all it is right now - a certificate.  It
sounds like you enjoyed it and that you truly feel that you learned what you
wanted.  That's great.

By the way, www.genealogy.edu/moodle is the same as Heritage Genealogical
College.  Akamai University's bachelor degree has morphed into the new American
School of Genealogy  I believe that the site is under construction right now.
It will be interesting to see the changes to the curriculum.  I understand that
it will only teach genealogy classes and expects students to get their other
courses from local universities or community colleges.  It does sound as thought
their college will be more of a medieval curriculum.  I could be wrong but that
is the impression that I got.  According to a recent email from LaWanna B., one
of the people in charge there, this college will issue more in the way of
certificates.

The new American School of Genealogy is licensed by the State of Mississippi.  I
don't have all of the particulars and once the school has its website up and
running again, you should contact it for more details.

You brought up a good question to everyone regarding taking courses and finding
out that they are not valid.

Sincerely,

Jeanette Daniels
Heritage Genealogical College