[APG Public List] [TGF] Origin of a homemaker's habit

Debbie Parker Wayne debbie at debbiewayne.com
Fri Sep 10 16:59:37 MDT 2010

eshown at comcast.net wrote on 9/9/2010 4:15 PM:
> .. Ages ago, I found a delightful book: Marion Cabell Tyree, _Housekeeping in
> Old Virginia_ (Loisville, Ky.: John P. Morton and Co., 1879).
> If anyone is interested in it, it's digitized on Google.

Thank you for bringing this up, Elizabeth. I love these old cookbooks
and tips for housewives.

Back in the 1970s I had a book for housewives that was written by Thomas
Jefferson's granddaughter. I vividly remember the recipe for chicken
starting with instructions on how to remove the feathers. I loaned that
book to someone and never got it back. Your note reminded me I might be
able to find it on Google books or Internet archive. I found /The
Virginia Housewife/ by Mary Randolph on Internet Archive and I think it
is the book I remember.

I thought I'd point out for those who haven't discovered it yet -- most
PDF files on Google books are scanned images of the book that do not
allow searches after you download the PDF to your computer. After I
learned the Google PDFs are not searchable I always look for the book
elsewhere. Internet Archive (archive.org) creates searchable PDFs. In
the case of some books Internet Archive only has text and HTML files or
links to contributors like Project Gutenberg. But I much prefer having a
searchable version.

Someday I am going to get brave and try my hand at making soap, but I
may look for an updated recipe that doesn't start with making a fire.
<smile>

Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne, East Texas

Wayne Research -- http://debbiewayne.com/
Blog -- Deb's Delvings http://debsdelvings.blogspot.com/
DNA Project Admin -- Spanish_Grants and Texas State GS
Director -- First Families of Texas