[APG Public List] [TGF] Origin of a homemaker's habit

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 09:39:08 MDT 2010

     I'm familiar with The Grapes of Wrath, but, although I could be forgetting a detail, I don't recall any mention of the way cups or glasses were stored in the book. Even if there were such a scene, anyone who understands the techniques of fiction writing will recognise that it might not be significant. The fiction writer is concerned less with depicting reality accurately (compare dialogue in _any_ story with the real thing) than with selecting elements appropriate to the story _and symbolic elements_ which will reinforce the theme of that story.
     Of course, if there is such a reference in The Grapes of Wrath, it might well have been the _source_ of the idea this practice originated in the Dust Bowl, whether or not that assertion is true.
                          Ray Beere Johnson II