[APG Public List] Origin of a homemaker's habit

Debbie Parker Wayne debbie at debbiewayne.com
Wed Sep 8 15:54:27 MDT 2010

  Thanks to all of you who answered on- and off-list and on the blog.
I'll wait a while for any other answers that come in then compile a list
of responses.

Obviously, the Dust Bowl story is not true in general. But it may be
true for some families. One person commented on the blog that her mother
and grandmother in Kansas called the 1930s the "dirty thirties" and
placed glasses and cups upside down so they wouldn't have to be washed
again before using. I also liked one off-list comment where the person
wondered if the upside down rims weren't getting dirty by touching the
shelf.

I can tell this topic caused some others to sit around with fond
memories of mothers and grandmothers running through their minds. At the
risk of touching off another round of memories -- I have never forgotten
one of the end-of-story fillers in /Reader's Digest/ many years ago.
Paraphrased from memory: A group of women were sitting around the
kitchen table. One of the younger wives asked, "Which kitchen
convenience is the one you can't live without?" As they went around the
table the answers were garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, range,
etc. When they got to the old grandma her answer was "running water."
That story always reminds me of the things I forget to appreciate.

Thanks again.

Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne, East Texas

Wayne Research -- http://debbiewayne.com/
Blog -- Deb's Delvings http://debsdelvings.blogspot.com/
DNA Project Admin -- Spanish_Grants and Texas State GS
Director -- First Families of Texas