[APG Public List] Origin of a homemaker's habit

Debbie Parker Wayne debbie at debbiewayne.com
Wed Sep 8 09:20:24 MDT 2010

  I am new to this blog thing that has blossomed so much these last few
years. I decided to use the "Wisdom Wednesday" blog theme to share a
habit my grandmother taught me and survey others about what they were
taught and possible origins of kitchen habits.

My question is whether the practice of storing glasses and cups upside
down in the kitchen cabinet really originated during the Dust Bowl of
the 1930s. I don't think it did. A statement during a genealogy
presentation a while back made me question the origin of this habit.

My full post with the origin of this question can be found at
<http://debsdelvings.blogspot.com/2010/09/wisdom-wednesday-glasses-in-cupboard.html>

If the URL above wraps you can go to
<http://debsdelvings.blogspot.com/>. Click the "comments" link at the
bottom of the post to leave a response.

If you want to share your family's position on this important historical
homemaking issue <grin> but don't want to post a comment on the blog,
you can e-mail me privately. If others are interested I'll post a
summary of the responses. The older women in my family who might be able
to answer this question are no longer living so I thought I'd gather our
collective wisdom.

The reminder from geneabloggers.com about this theme made me start
thinking of things I learned from my grandmother. I know I am preaching
to the choir here, but don't get so busy you forget to make time to talk
to the elder members of your family while they are still here to answer
your questions, big and small. All of those little unimportant habits
may be the spark in your grandmother's story.

--
Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne, East Texas

Wayne Research -- http://debbiewayne.com/
Blog -- Deb's Delvings http://debsdelvings.blogspot.com/
DNA Project Admin -- Spanish_Grants and Texas State GS
Director -- First Families of Texas