[APG Public List] APGPublicList Digest, Vol 12, Issue 38

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 31 22:17:16 MDT 2010

This has been an interesting discussion, especially since I have little knowledge of the GPS system.

However, here is my argument “against it being useful.”  If we are talking about the precise location of a gravestone, then I can definitely see the benefit of having GPS coordinates.  That is a given, so please understand that I am not referring to this situation at all.

Fortunately, gravestones are one of the least of the records that we use in much of the research we do.  In none of the other research we do would these coordinates be important or even useful.

As genealogists, dealing with records created by various bodies whether civil, religious, private, or otherwise, the physical location of a place (i.e. latitude/longitude) is less important than the artificial boundaries established by these record-creating institutions.  The physical location does not change, but it says nothing of where one would need to find records.  The civil borders of towns, counties, and even states change over time, the borders of church parishes, dioceses, etc., change over time, and families move over time.  Pinpointing them on a map to this degree of accuracy is less important than locating them in relation to the historic county boundaries, historic parish boundaries, etc.  Knowledge of local geography (esp. watercourses), history and laws is what helps us locate the records that we use.

Other than the aforesaid gravestone situation, in what way can the GPS coordinates be considered EVIDENCE? (This is not a rhetorical question, but an honest inquiry.)

Michael Hait
michael.hait at hotmail.com
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com