[APG Public List] APGPublicList Digest, Vol 12, Issue 38

John Yates john at jytangledweb.org
Sun Oct 31 17:47:35 MDT 2010

On 10/31/2010 7:02 PM, James Burnett wrote:
> John. I Certainly second every thing you are saying about using
> coordinates to convey location of ancesteral  items of interest.  I
> don't understand the arguments against it being useful or accurate.  To
> those who don't have a Navigator you don't need one.  Since all of those
> participating in this discussion have a computer you actually do have a
> navigator. It is  called Google  Earth and by the way you get altitude
> along with lat and long with no additional effort. I am not looking for

And don't overlook just using maps.google.com . You can type a GPS
coordinate pair into the address field, and with "directions" print
out instructions on how to drive there from your current position
(or any position you specify). And if you print the resulting map
I always choose a Hybrid map (satellite view, with roads named)
with its Green Arrow (unfortunately, Google puts a red push pin on
the nearest address site it finds, and a green arrow on the actual
typed GPS coordinates) you can see satellite landmarks that will
guide your wandering around when you reach the site. No GPS device
needed, just GPS coordinates published by someone.

> the accuracy to permit me to drop a basketball down a well.  Just get me
> within a hundred feet and my eyes and feet will take care of the rest
> because I will have looked at google earth and know what I am looking
> for. How much simpler can it get?  To be perfectly honest I would think
> that any genealogist that is doing work outside of the library would be
> expected to use coordinates to define locations today.  I certainly take
> them and if I forget my navigator I bet you can guess what I use--Google
> Earth.
> A perfect example is a gravesite that I have been trying to locate for
> several years.  I have a picture of it taken in 1995.  I have a location
> written in 1933. Given the remote location and the road changes that
> have occurred we have not located that site yet--the photographer died
> without leaving any further description.  Lat and Long would have been
> fabulous to have. This just seems such a nobrainer to me I can not
> understand the reluctance to accept.

On my homepage I have GPS coordinates for sites covered in "Absegami
Yesteryear". A couple of them for remote gravestones took me over a
year of people networking to find. Publishing the GPS coordinates I
obtained means no one needs to go through that again to find them.
Even if they only print a satellite map with the GPS location noted
on the map they can probably find the site without a GPS device.

John