[APG Public List] APGPublicList Digest, Vol 12, Issue 38

James Burnett dougb81042 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 17:02:52 MDT 2010

John. I Certainly second every thing you are saying about using coordinates
to convey location of ancesteral  items of interest.  I don't understand the
arguments against it being useful or accurate.  To those who don't have a
Navigator you don't need one.  Since all of those participating in this
discussion have a computer you actually do have a navigator. It is  called
Google  Earth and by the way you get altitude along with lat and long with
no additional effort. I am not looking for the accuracy to permit me to drop
a basketball down a well.  Just get me within a hundred feet and my eyes and
feet will take care of the rest because I will have looked at google earth
and know what I am looking for. How much simpler can it get?  To be
perfectly honest I would think that any genealogist that is doing work
outside of the library would be expected to use coordinates to define
locations today.  I certainly take them and if I forget my navigator I bet
you can guess what I use--Google Earth.
A perfect example is a gravesite that I have been trying to locate for
several years.  I have a picture of it taken in 1995.  I have a location
written in 1933. Given the remote location and the road changes that have
occurred we have not located that site yet--the photographer died without
leaving any further description.  Lat and Long would have been fabulous to
have. This just seems such a nobrainer to me I can not understand the
reluctance to accept.
I would also say it does not matter if the older couple you are writing the
report for understand how to use them or not, their grandchildren would.
Reports are both for the customer and anyone else that reads it.
Enuff said as I navigate from 28 Deg North, 80 Deg West.

--
Douglas Burnett
28 Deg 11 Min 32.01 Sec N