[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

John Yates john at jytangledweb.org
Sat Oct 30 21:41:01 MDT 2010

To my satisfaction, the context of place name and its unique
digital location (that can be described by GPS coordinates,
as well as other ways) is clear.

If I report GPS coordinates of a grave site, I know it is
theoretically a pin point location.

If I measure GPS coordinates of a city, I know it is only a
pin point site contained within that city.

Both, of course, could be subject to a "surety" value.
Joe Smith may gain a reputation for "bad" data, while
Jane Doe may be a "trusted" source.

Theoretically, you can verify any that you don't choose
to trust. Reputations can be made or lost depending on
follow up publications from those who do the checking.
(kind of like peer reviewed scientific journal publication.
a network of trust is developed. And faked data generally
gets discovered, as cold fusion data 20 some years ago,
and faked experiments that no one can verify,... one
has to build a web of trust, we can't learn everything
in science first hand).

And over the course of human existence, the spatial part
of the space time continuum has not changed except for
catastrophic events over the time of human existence.
And catastrophic events can be detailed by their time
and extent.

And I would relegate GPS coordinate use for areas to be
the realm of cartographers and not GPS devices.
An area can be accurately drawn on a map, and equations
could be developed in terms of
latitude and longitude (GPS) traversals, like a surveyor's
traversals (or whatever they call them) but that would
be difficult to write down in a source. It would perhaps
be better simply to source a map with a shaded boundary of
the area of interest. If the map has latitude and longitude
marked on it. This would not only be a digital and visual
description of the area, it would also completely describe
the area.

The example source I wrote was for a specific site,
not an area. I would not use a GPS device or its boundary
coordinates to describe a typical area. It would be too
"messy" unless its boundaries were all parallel to latitude
and longitude lines.

The utility of a GPS device is in documenting a rather
precise location on the face of the Earth so that others
can find it.

John