[APG Public List] [APG Members] citing coordinates (was place names)

Michael John Neill mjnrootdig at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 08:17:50 MDT 2010

Just like anything else, the citation is really only a small part of it as
Larry indicated. For me at least, the key is in the analysis--the "why" I
think the region bounded by specific coordinates is the correct region. What
specific method helped me arrive at the specific coordinates for the
location (the citation) is definitely important, but the analysis of the
records that were used (deeds, maps, historical texts, etc.) to ascertain
the location is really what is key. While I think the citation is important,
the analysis (in my opinion) is even more crucial. Anyone can stand on point
A and obtain coordinates

For locations, the analysis tells me why I think I'm standing on
great-great-grandpa's farm, gravesite, etc. That analysis is what someone
else will read/review and decide if it makes sense and is reasonable based
upon the sources I have used (and cited) and if they think I'm really
standing on great-great-grandpa's farm, gravesite, etc. The citation for the
coordinates tells someone else precisely where this location is.

This has been an interesting discussion even though it has slightly deviated
from the original question.

Let's say I decide to include the GPS coordinates of the corners of my
ancestor's piece of property or farm as part of my information on
the ancestor. Citing the coordinates of corners of the property, while
important, is not that big a deal and a format could easily be established.
Showing why I think those corners are the boundary corners of his property
is really the important thing here. And of course it's important to remember
that we're not surveyors either (at least most of us!).
Personally the citation format of GPS coordinates is not nearly as
interesting as documenting "why" we think we have the correct location of an
event and why we think that location is a specific one or a larger, less
determined, one.

Michael
Michael John Neill
Casefile Clues