[APG Public List] [APG Members] citing coordinates (was place names)

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Thu Oct 28 07:44:05 MDT 2010

These are excellent.  I think the coordinates themselves have to be
justified by using the same techniques used in other areas of genealogical
research.  So I can see the coordinates themselves being cited separately.
Where did the coordinates come from?  What evidence or facts justify
attaching a particular name to a particular set of coordinates?  And so on.

So would the coordinates be cited say to having been sourced from a
particular map.  Or use of a gps at the actual spot being given the
coordinates in the field?   Or from a text description that then was
interpreted using a historical overlay or map?  Or all of the above if
applicable, but separately cited?

I like your analogy to photos though.  GPS is really taking a 'snapshot' of
coordinates in a field.  That's a nice creative way to get at it

Larry