[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

John john at jytangledweb.org
Wed Oct 27 21:36:03 MDT 2010

And since the actual latitude and longitude of a place won't change,
it is a simple matter (for a mathematician, engineer, or scientist)
to write down and program a set of equations that will uniquely
convert one set of coordinates to coordinates in the other coordinate
system. [Hint: represent the earth in spherical polar coordinates
and do the trigonometry. To a first approximation assume that the
radius of the Earth is constant. Advanced credit to those who don't
need to make that assumption! ;-) ]

If another coordinate system becomes common, you can bet Google
engineers will add "Coordinate System" as a selectable preference
in Google Earth and friends.

GPS replaced maritime navigation coordinates from Loran radio towers
and receivers. (I live only a few miles from the east coast inland
waterway and the Atlantic Ocean.) I think the last Loran radio
transmitter in NJ (the nation?) was just shut down in the past
year. Boat captains made the change over about a 10 year period.
I don't know about aircraft navigation, but I seem to remember that
they are still stuck on ancient navigation technology and don't
use GPS yet. !!??

John