[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Wed Oct 27 18:56:34 MDT 2010

Actually I thought I was suggesting using longitude/latitude coordinates as
a way to avoid the argument as to whether historical or more contemporary
names were used by coding all name changes to the same coordinates, where
possible..  When I changed the subject to place names (or soon after it
changed to place names).  Could you be thinking of the thread that
subsequently changed to this one?

So I don't think this thread evolved and went off on a tangent, but so what
if it did?  Some interesting discussions come up when the subject is altered
along the way.

But as far as I remember it's been linked to coordinates since it changed to
"place names" (and I'm sure I changed the subject line, but certainly
someone will check the archives and set me square on that if I'm mistaken)

But it matters not to me.  I've personally learned a lot from the discussion
about coordinates that I didn't know before.  I've some idea of some
pitfalls and limitations from their use too, but I remain convinced it's
simply a practical idea to make use of them where possible (and where
practical).  I'd like to see their use increase, and see some guidelines for
that use.

Larry