[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Wed Oct 27 10:39:02 MDT 2010

Then you add an explanation, the same as you would have to do with the
location names alone.  Plus you can then give the existing location's
coordinates paired with the original ones.

To get the GPS coordinates you don't need to actually go wander the highway
ramp!  I don't want to get anyone killed here!  Just kidding.  You can
obtain them a few different ways just sitting at your computer, safe from
speeding cars!  In the case you describe you'd not be able to be absolutely
specific, but then you couldn't be specific even just using the old ways of
place name and map.

Obviously, in various scenarios you have to play the usefulness of trying to
approximate a location whether by text description and names, or by text,
name, and approximate coordinates.  You might say that it was thought to be
in this general area, and then give general coordinates.  I have the same
problem with my grandfather's house in Montreal which now has 12 lane
freeway where it once stood.  But I know it's location within a 4 or 5 city
blocks, so I mark it with less specific coordinates, and an explanation
(have the advantage of also having pictures of it)

Again I think there's a basic misunderstanding about how these could be used
and the potential they hold.  Most of the arguments against using them seem
to forget that the "traditional" names and explanations would also be used.
These things just extend the options to allow more interactive features with
various programs including mapping

But just as in the case of named locations, there are times when really you
don't know enough to place it in a given location by any means!  So of
course under that circumstance how could you find its coordinates?
Larry