[APG Public List] place names

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Wed Oct 27 10:02:46 MDT 2010

Again, they're used in conjunction with the place names and the usual
accompanying explanations.  They just don't sit there on their own!  Added
on as a way to allow us to employ other means of locating and understanding
a named location, but used alongside other more traditional naming
approaches.

I think there's a real misunderstanding of how coordinates could be
employed.  They aren't some sort of be-all and end-all, not the only
identifier used for a place in a genealogical record.  They simply translate
the named location into at least an approximate location and they would
allow various name changes to be catalogued under the same coordinates.

Used intelligently they offer a wide range of possibilities that names alone
cannot match

Larry