[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

Janice Sellers janicemsj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:44:58 MDT 2010

I think "boundary definitions + effective time period" is an important
component of the GPS concept being discussed.  Many, possibly most,
places do not have the same boundaries over time.  As an example,
small communities are often annexed by large ones.  So, for instance,
I live in Oakland, California.  If I were to include a general
boundary GPS listing for Oakland as it is now, it would be much larger
than Oakland was in the mid-1870's, when the section of the city in
which I live was annexed.

Janice M. Sellers