[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

linda at fpr.com linda at fpr.com
Wed Oct 27 08:17:05 MDT 2010

I'm with James on his earlier reply.

I'm not sure I see how use of GPS coordinates has much impact on the
discussion of current vs historical place names.   GPS descriptors are
an additional place qualification, and IMO they are very useful.   Names
and their associated boundary definitions + effective time period and
the correspondence between then and now... all that is still important
as they have been.

I think the underlying conceptual problem in this discussion is that
people think it's desirable to have one, unique name/reference, perhaps
because of the implications suggested by genealogy software design. a
flawed priority, in my opinion.

Linda
Linda Gardner
Massachusetts