[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Wed Oct 27 01:11:44 MDT 2010

John,

I agree with the points you make.  Someone else wrote to me off list with the
same concerns.  I haven't thought this problem completely through.  For now, as
a general rule, I plan to use coordinates to one decimal place to specify a town
or village.  If I have an exact address (or location of a tombstone), I'll use
four or five decimal places.  Even these plans have their faults.  In any case,
if I write a narrative that includes coordinates, I will take your advice
and explain my intent.  Perhaps something as simple as "Coordinates expressed to
one decimal place denote a general area.  Coordinates expressed to four decimal
places denote an exact location" might be sufficient.

By the way, where the heck is our esteemed colleague Randy Seaver?  His
background and expertise is just what is needed for this discussion!

Stephen J. Danko
http://www.stephendanko.com/