[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Wed Oct 27 01:06:43 MDT 2010

John,

I hadn't thought about GPS coordinates (or latitude/longitude coordinates
obtained from Google Earth) as requiring a source citation, but I think you are
correct.  Family Tree Maker 2011 (and probably other genealogy databases as
well) includes fields that allows the researcher to specify coordinates of
places.  However, as you point out, we obtain those coordinates from a source,
and the source should be cited.  The most obvious difference in sources might be
whether the source was a GPS device or an online service such as Google Earth.
So, how do we cite sources for these coordinates?  Should the precision of the
measurement be specified in the source, in the coordinate itself, or in a note?
The fields for coordinates in Family Tree Maker 2011 include no provision for
recording precision and, as far as I can tell, include no provision for
recording a source citation or a note for the coordinates.

Best regards,
Stephen J. Danko
http://www.stephendanko.com/