[APG Public List] Latin dictionaries

PLHGenealogy at gmail.com PLHGenealogy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 07:54:36 MDT 2010

A couple of the best are online at the Perseus Project:
http://perseus.uchicago.edu/index.html#LatinTexts
Scroll down for dictionary options.

I have Cassell's which is very inexpensive. The problem with Latin
dictionaries though is that you have to know the first person singular form
(for verbs) and the nominative/genitive cases (nouns) to be able to look up
the words directly. If you look at the listing you can probably figure it
out. However, you may have trouble figuring out some of the details of
grammar without knowing/understanding how Latin endings work. Latin is an
inflected language which means that the words change form to reflect case,
person, tense, number, etc.. There are very nice charts in the back of
Wheelock's Latin text which also is pretty inexpensive.

Patti