[APG Public List] Latin dictionaries

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Tue Oct 26 00:48:42 MDT 2010

I have not yet found the ideal dictionary to help with translation of documents
of genealogical value written in Latin.  Even the very expensive Oxford Latin
Dictionary has many shortcomings when it comes to translating genealogical
documents.

You might try C. Russell Jensen's book "Parish Register Latin: An
Introduction".  It is available for free in several formats online at
http://www.archive.org/details/parishregisterla00crus

You can read it online or download the B/W PDF.  I have heard that full text
version is a copy of the book that was scanned and converted to text by optical
character recognition (OCR).  The full text version is full of errors due to a
poor job of OCR, so don't use the full text version.  I use the B/W PDF version
myself, but there are other versions (Kindle and DjVu, among others).  The
book is actually a textbook of Latin for genealogists, but it includes a great
Latin-English dictionary for genealogists at the end of the book.  In all, the
book is 427 pages long, so you may not want to print the whole thing
out.  Instead, you might just want to print out the dictionary from pages
362-414.

Kind regards,
Stephen J. Danko
http://www.stephendanko.com/