[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com
Mon Oct 25 19:01:13 MDT 2010

John, Do you mean the recent conference in Pittsburgh that Elizabeth Mills
gave on Saturday? A great time was had by all at this fun day.

Helpful as GPS coordinates are, the caution should be more than that, IMHO.
Just like "about" dates get turned into real ones through later
interpretation or entry into absolute databases with no "about" feature, the
GPS coordinates could be guesswork or preliminary findings of the
originator. Sure your car can take you there but is "there" the place that
is correct?

This reminds me of my pastor who took his family to England. He knew within
about 5 miles of where his ancestors lived. So he picked a place in the area
and told his family that this was where they lived. Close enough for him,
but not for a careful genealogist.

We had a saying back in my computer days: GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out.
Hence we need to be careful with any information we pass along or even have
in our notes without a caveat. My preference is to not really say something
as concrete as a GPS heading without being really sure that "this is the
place."

My .02,
Elissa

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG