[APG Public List] place names

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Oct 25 18:32:01 MDT 2010

I'll keep replying online on these lists when asked questions.

No, it's for those reasons you suggest, but it's very much about historical
research.

The main use I have for them from a research point of view is two fold.  One
to pull all the different jurisdictional name changes under one common 'tag'
(the coordinates shared by all).  That is very much useful for finding
record sources because often records end up in modern repositories,
municipal archives and so on.  On a modern map I can see where those records
might have been carted off to.  That's particularly important in UK research
where records for one location might have been pulled into a repository
related to a past jurisdictional boundary that is no longer apparent today.
Just being able to use the historical name that's in the record, instead of
substituting the modern name is a plus for research needs (in the way you
describe yourself).  I don't need to worry that someone won't know
what/where the place named is (because it's tied to coordinates, along with
its later name changes).  So name is by what's in the record, no concerns
thanks to tying it to a set of coordinates (the coordinates are neither
modern nor historical, they just are locators).

Second is to use a historical overlay on google earth, locate historical
locations (for example streets lost under modern freeways or buildings),
use my cursor with overlay to obtain coordinates.  Then see where those
coordinates are on current map on google earth.  Again it tells me where
records might have ended up because I can see what modern jurisdictions etc
contain those historical locations.

other uses, to track patterns of migrations, use coordinates on a
topographical map to trace whether two seemingly close locations actually
were 'geographically/physically' accessible, one to the other.  The uses are
endless and they're all related to research needs.  I'm sure people have far
more creative ways of enhancing research needs by using these then I'm
using.

Does any of that make sense from your research pov?

Larry