[APG Public List] place names

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Oct 25 17:55:41 MDT 2010

Maybe this is a more appropriate topic for the rather silent SourcCitations
list, because really it's an issue (historical/modern names) that's
encountered more often in that area.

I'd like to explore options for rationalizing the use of coordinates in
conjunction with the use of place names.  Seems to me a few simple
guidelines would allow someone to tell when coordinates were representative
of  the whole township and when they referred to a specific, (almost) exact
location within the township.

then it wouldn't matter whether historical names or modern names were used
as they would all be available by referencing the coordinates they share.

Any discussion of this should probably start with the whole
historical/modern name choice problem (and I have a good article bookmarked
on that subject).

anyone interested in this contact me off list and I'll give you the
directions to the SourceCitation list.  I just sense there's not a lot of
interest on these lists to take this into any depth.  Am I right?

Larry