[APG Public List] place names

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Oct 25 17:47:53 MDT 2010

But you do that right now when all you know is the township name, don't you?
You name the township.  Someone then has to go searching to find where that
township is located. But if we had an agreement to use coordinates
referencing the township (approximate central point), at least the township
could be located easily by anyone with even elementary understanding of
something like google maps.

Addresses are either specific or general.  All I'm suggesting is to use
coordinates in that same way. The key would be what is footnoted.  If just a
township, then the coordinates give the approximate location. After all it
would be tagged to a location name, so you really don't lose anything. The
township would still be referred to by a name (except that it would be
attached to a set of approximate coordinates).

Once a specific location was found in that township,  footnoted coordinates
would attach to that specific address within the township.

But you're still "naming" the locations according to your naming preference.
Coordinates are added to the name (and if multiple jurisdictional names
apply to a location, they can all be keyed to the same coordinates).

I think a procedure or guidelines could be set out that would rationalize
the use of coordinates in conjunction with the usual naming practices that
we now use.

If only we had options where we could be so specific (or generally specific)
in other areas of our research.  Coordinates would bridge the gap between
name and location, making mapping and finding/comparing locations (and many
other options) available

It's in addition to current practices, not replacing them!

Larry