[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Oct 25 14:30:02 MDT 2010

I certainly don't think they're "better than nothing."  I think they're a
huge improvement on using names tied to a particular time and era, whether
historical or modern.  Those coordinates will never change. They can be far
more precise than a "place name" when that's appropriate and required.  And
they can be used to generally locate a jurisdiction where a particular
location within that jurisdiction is not known.  Centre the coordinates on
the general town or township, using footnotes tied to the township or town
level (rather than a street or particular rural address if none is known).

Clients like them because they can plot their ancestral location easily, get
specific or general directions to the areas.  The coordinates can be plugged
into dozens of programs and mapping software.  Multiple names over time for
the same location can be anchored to an unchanging set of coordinates.

Just because it would be a new type of way of noting locations doesn't mean
we should reject it out of hand.  Eventually this type of coordinate system
will have to be the norm

The "use historical name or the modern name" is a non-argument.  All place
names can change over time.  Modern names are not immune to that, and I can
cite dozens of modern name changes that have taken place in the last few
years.  When  the city of Nepean, Carleton Co., Ontario, the town of
Metcalfe, and a dozen other locales all were absorbed by the city of Ottawa,
they were the modern names for various locations within them.  Now they're
no more, so anything entered using the 'modern name' of Nepean is simply
'historical' reference now.  And there's a chance part of the city will
break apart again.  It's happened for most places over time.

but the coordinates don't change.  Tie the various name changes over time
for a location to one set of coordinates and you've got something that is
reliable, and will always point to the same place no matter how many name
changes the place goes through (or has gone through).

It makes sense, period.  And it's a good fit with everything digital.
Instantly catalogued and accessible as maps, descriptions, and able to bring
up every name associated with a local

Larry

Larry