[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Oct 25 10:34:54 MDT 2010

There are cases where all that's known at the current time is the general
location.  A township, as you describe.  But it's still useful even if they
only indicate a general area because you would then cite to the whole
township, rather than a precise area within that township. It would be just
as "precise" as indicating the township name alone, yet has the benefit of
allowing someone to find where the township is exactly (on overlays or
modern maps).

if you knew the exact location than the coordinates would be tagged to that
precise location:

Jagger's Farm (footnote linked to coordinates), Anyplace Township, Whatever
County, Wyoming, USA

If you only knew the township then the coordinates would be cited to that
only.  Still would be useful information that could later be used/input into
a variety of programs, overlays, modern maps.

I don't see any better way of getting around the problem of changing names,
boundaries, jurisdictions.  One thing that's guaranteed is that no one is
going to change lines of latitude and longitude no matter how the names etc
change.  And all variations in names for a given place could be all tied to
the same coordinates.

just because the GPS *can* be precise and point to an exact position on the
planet, doesn't mean the coordinates can't also be used less precisely (to
indicate a city, town, county etc). What part of the address carries the
footnote would tell whether the coordinates were referring to a general
location (town, township etc) or a very precise street address (for example)

There would have to be some rules worked out in how the coordinates were
used and why, but they still offer something that remains unchanging and can
also be used for multiple purposes later (directions, distances, charting
movements over time etc)

Clients that I use them with really appreciate having them at hand

Larry