[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

Michael John Neill mjnrootdig at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 09:55:57 MDT 2010

I may be in the distinct minority, but I only use gps coordinates when I am
certain I have a relatively precise location. For cemeteries and locations
with addresses this works particularly well. If I know where a farm is at
today, the same applies. For many places, the amount of accuracy I have is
minimal and I'm not able to pinpoint where an event took place.

My grandmother's 1910 birth only indicates the township in which she was
born. In this instance, that's a square 6 miles on a side. I have no idea
where in the township she was born (her father was a tenant farmer and I
don't know the location where he rented). Various software and sites will
assign coordinates to this location, but they are (in my opinion)
arbitrarily precise. If I were to use coordinates (which I don't in this
case), I would only indicate the four corners of the township.

Use of GPS isn't the only scenario where more accuracy is assigned than is
implied.

Just my two cents.

--
Michael John Neill