[APG Public List] [APG Members] translate place names

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Sun Oct 24 06:06:18 MDT 2010

Place the Polish name in brackets for the English speaking audience as a
future English researcher will then have the Polish name too.  Not as
necessary to put the English translation in brackets when presenting it to a
Polish audience as it probably isn't necessary for any future research by
Polish researchers (though I suppose if someone they looked at research
previously done by an English speaking researcher it might be useful).

For me the more pressing issue is whether to use modern place names or the
original period name.  Problem with modern names is that they continue to
change and evolve constantly, with municipal amalgamations for example, so
at some point the 'modern name' chosen will appear to a future researcher to
be a old version of the future 'modern name'.  In one case here a city used
to be in a county along with half a dozen other cities.  Now they're all in
one new city.  The county is now in just one part of the city (rather than
the original city of the same name being just part of the county!).
Municipal names weren't static in the past, nor are the modern versions.
The real question maybe is how to deal with change.
I use the period name with the current modern jurisdictional name in
brackets. Even then the jurisdiction name used also varies by type of
record.

This is a whole area of genealogy that probably will never be satisfactorily
defined as to what's right and wrong.

There's a good article on this latter question (period name or modern one)
that I've been planning to start a discussion about on another list.

Larry