[APG Public List] translate place names

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Sun Oct 24 02:02:01 MDT 2010

I have been struggling with this same issue with place names in Poland.  I have
decided that the language in which I will spell place names depends on the
target audience.  If I am writing for an English speaking audience, I translate
place names into English.  If I am writing for a Polish speaking audience, I use
Polish language place names.  (By audience, I don't mean just the audience at a
lecture, but also the readers of my written work.)  Language differences don't
exist for all place names, however.  Warszawa in Polish is spelled Warsaw in
English.  However, Nowa Wieś in Polish is never translated as New Village in
English (although the kreska "s" ś is not used in English).

Best regards,
Stephen J. Danko
http://www.stephendanko.com/