[APG Public List] translate place names

Rolgeiger at aol.com Rolgeiger at aol.com
Sun Oct 24 01:01:59 MDT 2010

Hello,

I wonder whether it make sense to translate place names from the origin
language into my own.

Like German Koeln into Cologne or Niedersachsen into Lower Saxony. Or
Bavaria which originally is Bayern.

I think it leads into trouble once I have to do with orignal documents from
 that area for they will not have translated their names into any other
language.

I realize that Cologne is about the way an English speaking person would
pronounce the German sound "Koeln". But doing research about emigrants in
upstate New York, I don't translate for example "Perkinsville, New York" into
"Perkinsweiler, Neu York". Would not make sense for no records exist with
"Perkinsweiler" but all with "Perkinsville".

Same with names having a "sch" which are pretty much often transformed into
 the common Englisch "sh".

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Roland Geiger, St. Wendel, Deutschland (= Germany)

PS: Sorry, I just got up and had had no coffee yet. Otherwise I may not
have asked that question.