[APG Public List] Backupmytree.com

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 11:18:49 MDT 2010

LaDonna;
     All good questions, even assuming the service is legitimate. And - in almost all cases, even where a service _is_ legitimate - the answers are not as satisfying as most of us would like them to be. Just look at the example of Ma.gnolia - a bookmarking service which suddenly and without warning lost all their users bookmarks. There was no malice involved, only too little caution. And bookmarks are not as vital a resource as our family trees. (<http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/01/magnolia-suffer/>)
     Yes, I know. We still have our own copies. That's fine, but at any given time, there will be someone who is counting on that backup to save them. Better not to count on something you can't rely on - at least then, you'll know you need to take better precautions in other ways.
                          Ray Beere Johnson II