[APG Public List] Backupmytree.com

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 11:12:59 MDT 2010

Jeannette;
     You raised a very astute question. _If_ such an application were free _and open source_, there would be a chance for anyone who could understand the program code to see just what it did. But even then I would be very cautious when dealing with an app that automatically monitored your system and downloaded data. It would be very easy to miss some slight loophole that would allow it to do much more than you expected. Without the ability to inspect the code, I wouldn't even consider allowing this anywhere near my machine for a second. And this does not sound like a FOSS project. (I was not even willing to visit the site after reading about this tool.)
     A few other thoughts. This is not just software, which costs its creators only time and effort - which they may be repaid for by increased experience and reputation (motivations, along with simple altruism, that motivate many open source developers). It would require a _server_ to store your data. Someone has to pay for that server; the data storage space and the bandwidth involved. To offer even a fair chance of keeping your data safe for when you need it, they need more than a basic server tucked away anywhere. They need redundancy, several sites, and so on. All this costs money. That makes me even more suspicious.
     Yes, there are services which begin by providing free offering, to gain users and visibility, then seek to make a profit by adding paid options. Some of them are legitimate. I know nothing of this one other than what is said below - but what I infer from that, in terms of what it could potentially do and in terms of the cash outlay required to make such a service worth trusting, would make me take a _very big_ step back. They'd have to answer a lot of questions, very publicly, before I'd feel comfortable even thinking about trying them out.
                           Just my opinion,

                           Ray Beere Johnson II