[APG Public List] mid-late 19th Century Marriage Time Preferences?

Kate Foote kate at comm1net.net
Thu Oct 7 09:07:05 MDT 2010

Well Michael, the obvious first question is: were the marriages followed by a birth before 9 months had elapsed? We have long, cold winters here in Northern Iowa - and not a lot for entertainment, which I imagine was even more the case in the late 19th century. :-) But I'm sure you've already checked for that.

I know of no tradition that would make marriage in February or March preferable, nor have I seen a similar pattern in my research - which is heavily in Iowa, Minnesota, and a few Nebraska. Weather would be a consideration, especially if there was travel involved for guests, etc. Depending on the cause of the end of a previous marriage(s), death or divorce, a modest interim would have been expected before remarriage. Maybe the lady just liked those months. (I don't sound very professional, do I? But sometime we make our problems/brick walls taller than they really are.)

Consider yourself lucky; at least you have the times and places of Aunt Emma's nuptials! I have a grandmother, supposed to have been married 4-5 times, and can document none but marriage #1... I am questioning if grandma actually thought it necessary to "fuss and bother" with legalities?!

Good luck,
Kate