[APG Public List] "jug distemper"

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Oct 4 21:10:52 MDT 2010

One slang use of jug is for 'jail or prison'.  Distempers were any disease
condition, including mental "derangement".  Distempers also were rather
toxic paint mixtures with lead and lime in them (though also referred to a
type of milk paint).

I'd lean towards something related to alcohol.

Wonder if it could refer to a death from drinking a bad batch of homemade
alcohol.  Home stills were still the more common source of whiskey in that
period, and what killed people wasn't the whiskey itself, but other things
in the still itself that got into the 'brew'.  Or what was added to the mix.
Such whiskey was commonly stored in jugs, 'jug of whiskey'.  And given the
use of the term distemper to refer to mental derangement, which probably
would be a symptom of a poisoning resulting from drinking a contaminated,
homemade product...

Larry