[APG Public List] Question about a marriage bond

Kathy Gunter Sullivan sully1 at carolina.rr.com
Sun Oct 3 10:46:41 MDT 2010

A marriage bond is simply a pledge that there is no legal impediment to
the couple's marriage (impediments would be underage, already married,
so forth). The official issuing (writing and witnessing) the bond
charges a fee, but the amount of the bond (the penalty) is not payable
unless some irregularity is later discovered (underage, already married,
so forth). The bondsman (Joseph S. Taylor in this instance) is simply
standing as security that if the marriage is later determined to be
irregular and, therefore the penalty ($1,000) becomes payable, he
(Joseph) will pay the penalty if Samuel Taylor does not. Advise your
friend to read all the language of the marriage bond.

Kathy Gunter Sullivan