[APG Public List] Citing a manuscript

LikinsGenes at aol.com LikinsGenes at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 12:12:25 MST 2010

Larry wrote:

> mn is Minnesota but also Mongolia (not going to be a lot of confusion  in
genealogical  circles for that one but....).

I can't resist mentioning that my two oldest children were born in
Minnesota, but my youngest was born in Mongolia. (I'm not making this up.) If
confusion can happen, it probably eventually will. Since it is difficult to know
 what an abbreviation might mean to someone else (especially in the
future), it  seems to me safe to spell out the place name whenever possible.
Another example  is that Indiana was often abbreviated as "Ia." in the mid 1800s,
but now IA  stands for Iowa. I was thrown off by that one myself.

Andy Likins
Colorado Springs, CO