[APG Public List] Citing a manuscript

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Sat Nov 27 08:17:28 MST 2010

Bonnie wrote:

>. For a definitive answer, I refer to the _Chicago Manual of Style_. I feel
the CMOS is a good investment because I refer to it often.

Bonnie raises a good point. Those who aren't familiar with CMOS tend to
think of it as "yet another citation manual." (As in: "So, why do I need
more than one?")  Only one of CMOS's sixteen chapters deals with
source-citation, humanities-style. One deals with scientific-style
citations. The other fourteen, plus two appendixes, deals with those other
critical matters of style, grammar, punctuation, indexing, editing, etc.,
that good researchers are expected to know and demonstrate in their
writings.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
The Evidence Series