[APG Public List] Citing a manuscript

Larry Boswell laboswell at rogers.com
Sat Nov 27 07:22:47 MST 2010

There is an online version for CMOS with search and other tools, for about $30 subscription which I find to be more useful than hardcopy.

Domain codes also use the two letter (as in Pa) style, but the problem is that there is no agreement on what letter code applies where.  CA is both California and Canada.  At one point there was a sense that the country domain codes would be capitalized but that hasn't worked out.  People use ca, Ca, CA for both.  CH for Switzerland is also now used for church websites ( xchurch.ch)

mn is Minnesota but also Mongolia (not going to be a lot of confusion in genealogical  circles for that one but....).    LV is both Las Vegas and Latvia (again not much chance of errors there either!).  Laos and Los Angeles have something in common (la).

Belgium as as 'be' ,  used also by a canton in Switzerland.   Some country/state codes are also used as domain codes for non-geographic uses.  Colombia as co also of course denotes 'company'.   'md' used increasingly by medical industry once belonged to Moldova.  Some of these are obviously not going to be confused, but it demonstrates how there is little regard for how these are assigned.  Me is Maine, Montenegro, and now becoming popular domain name used by individuals (in the sense of 'my site').  Sites ending in 'in' could be internet related or in India.  And so on.

Could be solved if they'd gone with three letter domain codes instead of two

So inside the US Pa would be recognized as the state, but possibly only to US residents.  So maybe it would be better to stick with the old abbreviation and if necessary put the domain code/postal one Pa in brackets.

Larry