[APG Public List] Citing a manuscript

Bonnie Kohler kohlerbj at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 27 06:08:21 MST 2010

Cathi wrote:

- Since "c1850s-1911" includes an abbreviation for "circa," does the abbreviation not require a period? I usually use ca., and I presume that ca. and c. are interchangeable, but I thought both required a period.

-I believe that it is preferable to use traditional abbreviations for the names of states, rather than the postal codes, but where do we find the most acceptable abbreviations? I have been using "Penn." for Pennsylvania, but I notice that Elizabeth uses "Pa." Are these abbreviations standardized somewhere? Or are several different forms acceptable, such as Pa. and Penn.?

Cathi,

When I'm in a hurry, I just Google these questions. For a definitive answer, I refer to the _Chicago Manual of Style_. I feel the CMOS is a good investment because I refer to it often.

Bonnie Dunphy Kohler
Florida