[APG Public List] Citing a manuscript

Eileen Souza eileen.souza at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 04:59:57 MST 2010

Cathi wrote:

>-I believe that it is preferable to use traditional abbreviations for the
names of states, rather than the postal codes, but where do we find the most
acceptable abbreviations? I have been using "Penn." for Pennsylvania, but I
notice that Elizabeth uses "Pa." Are these abbreviations standardized
somewhere? Or are several different forms acceptable, such as Pa. and Penn.?

I was born and raised in Pennsylvania.  Since the forties, I remember using
either Penna. or Pa. as official abbreviations for the postal address prior
to the new postal abbreviation of PA; and unlike the new code the old
abbreviations required periods.

Eileen

Eileen A Souza

Eldersburg, MD