[APG Public List] Citing a manuscript

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 25 18:44:43 MST 2010

Larry,  I think the entire list would appreciate your input on the citation, so would you mind posting it to the list (rather than privately)?

I agree that imposing a title on an untitled manuscript would be misleading and inappropriate.

However, I feel that an informal descriptive "title" would be appropriate.  In terms of citation, this means that this "title" would not be italicized, underlined, or capitalized (depending on the publication format), and should be followed by the notation "unpublished manuscript," as you mentioned.

For example,

(Source List)  Hait, Michael.  Unpublished Hait family history manuscript. ...

OR

Hait, Michael.  Hait family history, unpublished manuscript. ...

[Both of the above use a descriptive "title" for purposes of differentiating this manuscript from other possible manuscripts by the same author.]

BUT NOT

Hait, Michael.  THE HAIT FAMILY HISTORY. ...  [which implies that this was the official title]

The rest of the citation should follow the normal guide for citations, such as creation date, collection (or catalog) number, repository, etc.  If a photocopy of the original, this should certainly be noted.  If in public possession, such as a library or archives, then limited provenance in the citation would be necessary (because the same source would be able to be viewed by any others), but discussion of the source would proceed in the narrative as with any other source.  If in private hands, however, then a more detailed provenance, such as the chain of custody from the original author, etc., and current location (limited if for publication), would definitely be necessary.

I apologize for not giving more detail above, but I am out of town and full of turkey! ;)

Michael Hait
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com
Read the newest article: African-American Genealogy Examiner
LinkedIn profile:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelhait