[APG Public List] E-Mail Problems

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 20:30:55 MST 2010

     I've just skimmed the messages in this thread, but just realised something. I think at least some of the people complaining of problems have recently had viruses which sent out spam from their accounts.
     If that is the case, that is your problem. Your e-mail has been blacklisted. Once a certain number of spam arrives from a certain address, it triggers automatic filters. There is usually little you can do about it. Once you're in those lists, even if you 'clear', using the wrong words in a message can get you back on very quickly.
     Yes, it's a pain. Yes, it's unfair. On the other hand, spam overloads so many servers, few people would have the time to discover whether or not an account was 'innocent' or not. Even fewer have the inclination. And there just isn't enough incentive to change the system as it stands. Your own host might even be blocking your outgoing mail, if they've had complaints.
     What can you do about this? In practice? You could wait it out - which can be a long wait, especially if you ever send the kind of messages that trigger the filters. You will be on a watchlist of sorts for a while, and those filters aren't very forgiving. Or you could change your e-mail address. I understand both of those are painful. If that's your problem, I don't know of much else you can do. (I do know of _one_ person whose account actually was used to blast out spam and who got themselves removed from the lists. They spent so much time arguing, I'm not sure it was any easier than the other options, and it was sheer luck and just the right rep on the other end even then.)
     One further note. There are various lists, and various filters. Just what happens depends on which ones you're in. It is possible, although not certain, that your e-mail to individuals is also blocked in some cases. And you will _not_ always be notified of this. In some cases, it is just swallowed into a void. Other factors which will make this situation worse include a mis-configured server sending out your e-mail. Most servers are mis-configured, according to the protocols and specifications that are supposed to be in place. Not all of them are so badly set up that they'll cause you more trouble, though. (How do I know so much about all this? My web host is NearlyFreeSpeech.NET - check out their section on e-mail, if you can follow it. Very few places on the web are that strict, but they give you an idea of what should be happening.)
     For obvious reasons, few providers, services, etc. are willing to publicly discuss just how they set up and maintain their blacklists, filters, etc. If you are very concerned, you need to go through a series of tests to see just what is happening to your sent mail - but this may in turn appear as if you're sending out more junk... Once this happens to you, you're in a sort of Catch-22, which is why those who spend a lot of time on the net are so paranoid about preventing it to begin with.
                          Ray Beere Johnson II