[APG Public List] Adopted children in genealogy

Larry Boswell laboswell at rogers.com
Sun Nov 14 08:08:29 MST 2010

I think it is relatively common.  I have quite a few examples, though in some cases the child knew the grandparents were not the actual parents.  In one an individual who was with the Mormons in Nauvoo, Illinois in the 1840s, having joined up in Canada, married in Nauvoo, where he had a son whom he named James.  After the sudden death of his wife he left and returned to Canada leaving his infant son to be raised by relatives in a similar way to your story.  But when he returned to Canada, he remarried, had another son by his second wife whom he promptly named James.  So two half-brothers both named James grew up a thousand miles apart, never knowing each other.  Both sons named their sons James, and the name continued through several more generations in the two widely separated descendant lines.

Larry